Friday, July 13, 2012

When the rains come

After a long, hot summer the rains have come.  Ahhhh just the thought of it is refreshing and renewing.  The summers here are brutal.  Yes, I am from Texas and East Texas non of the less, so I know hot.  I know humid.  BUT, this is a whole new level I was not quite prepared for.  Not to mention that the area of town we live in is notorious for power outages.  On a good day our power would be out for 4-6 hours(in the heat of the day)...on a good day.. on a bad day or bad days...uggh lets not even talk about it.

In early May, our friends who work with us left.  The circumstances around their leaving are and were extremely difficult, and our hearts ache for them.  It felt like a blur as they planned to leave and tried to get all the ends tied up for the many months they would be gone.  R and I weren't expecting how hard it would be for us after they left.  It has definitely been a season of loneliness and reflection.  And the heat, oh the heat.  It made everything harder.  We felt so tired, drained, and cranky with each other.  It seemed that the weather was a perfect reflection of how I felt, dry and dusty.

We heard the rains were coming and we were excited.  There was a buzz in the city about the rains, yet they didn't come.  The humidity came and hovered like a thick haze over our city for about 2 weeks.  Everyone seemed to be miserably waiting in anticipation.  Our language helper told us God was angry because people were not walking the straight path(living right) and so God was not sending the rains.  In some ways it started to feel like that.

Then finally the clouds burst forth and the rains came.  It was glorious.  With the rains came cool weather and cool breezes.

 I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something extremely spiritual and healing happening in my soul since the rains have come.  The roads are muddy and wet, but the rain is so wonderful.  I love the smell of it, I love the sound of it, I love the way it makes the air feel cool and clean.

Is God powerful enough to withhold the rains, of course!!  Does he do it because he is angry and wants his children to suffer, no I don't think so.  Sometimes, it takes a dry season for our hearts to be ready for the rains.  I don't really know why and I don't really enjoy it, but there is one thing I know.  THE RAINS WILL COME.  So, whatever the dry season may be, whether literal or figurative, there is hope because the rain will always come.  Our God is good and I will trust that he will always bring the rain.   

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the past and current seasons. Thanks for your honesty! Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautifully said. I feel the same way these days, it's been dry for me as well. I love the promise of the rains, some days that's what has to keep you going. Hosea 6:3

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so beautiful! so awesome and encouraging to know that y'all are holding fast to your "confession of hope"!
    hope that any dry spells or droughts are shortened and seem incomparable to the comings rains!!

    ps.
    8 DAYS!!!! 8 DAYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know there is a Third Day song called When the Rain Comes.. it kept playing in my head while I read this post.-
    "When the rain comes you blame it on the things that you have done
    When the storm fades you know that rain must fall on everyone
    So rest awhile it'll be alright
    No one loves you like I do..."
    I always liked that song, it was comforting to me. Thankfully you are welcoming the rains and it means good things for you and the people around you.

    Anyways I love reading your blog. I miss you tons. Next year!!!

    ReplyDelete